Learn to make dovetails
To the on-lookers and admirers, the dovetail joint is a wonderful display of craftsmanship and the mark of true skill, quality and excellence. To most makers, it represents an opportunity to hone their hand skills and improve their patience.
This two day course will focus on learning to cut dovetails by hand and incorporate them into an elegant set of bookends – similar to those in the image – which you will then take home with you. Emphasis will of course be on the joint but as part of the process, you’ll also be introduced to:
- The properties of various hardwoods and what to be aware of when working with them.
- The correct, most effective approach when sharpening your chisel and plane blades.
- Preparing your timber and taking it to ‘flat and true’.
- The method of ‘marking out’ your work clearly and accurately.
- The correct techniques for the use of all necessary hand tools.
- The meticulous process of sanding and oiling to achieve a beautiful, high quality finish.
Classes are limited to four to give each student as much interaction as possible and are conducted in dock’s private workshop.
All tools and materials will be provided.
All students will also be treated to a complimentary coffee and Cannoli (the best in Liverpool) from Caffe Riccardo, which is located on the premises.
To book your place on one of the confirmed dates for this weekend course in 2022, please select a date…
Future dates coming soon. Register your interest and be the first to hear about new dates and course news…